GIS data acquisition and GIS data projects
- GIS data
The following GIS data listed below were purchased for use in various GCRO projects :
- Afrigis: Bizcount geocoded business layer, gated communities and suburbs
- GeoTerraImage (GTI): 2009 provincial land cover, urban land cover (2.5m resolution), growth indicator (2001 – 2009), and land use (2001-2009)
- GeoTerraImage (GTI): Growth Indicator – land use per building (62 sub classes, providing a full classification of land use activities across the urban areas in Gauteng
- GeoTerraImage (GTI): Growth Indicator – development initiatives. A spatial dataset illustrating submitted, refused and approved applications and potential future growth such as rezoning of existing cadastre and township developments on farm portions and agricultural holdings
- GeoTerraImage (GTI): Growth Indicator – demography. Based on the 2001 official StatsSA census, demographic statistics (gender, age, race and total population) are associated with each residential dwelling point (2001) to provide a fine scale analysis of the demographic situation. An indication of the 2010 demographic dynamics and population update is provided by AfricaScope (Mr Craig Schwabe) through demographic analysis and forecasting
- DemProKey X from Lightstone: Census 2001 and updated 2010 income and demographics per EA (Enumerator Area from Census 2001) and 2011 ward boundaries
- Deeds transfers and property valuation per EA from Lightstone: average Deeds transfers per EA as well as number of properties/transactions in various price bands from 1993-2010, and average valuation per EA based on Lightstone’s Automated Valuation Model (AVM) per EA from 2007-2010.
As part of the licencing agreement GCRO negotiated with the data providers, these datasets are also available for use by both Wits/UJ students and lecturers, and can be viewed in the Economic and Spatial Structure themes in the GCRO GIS website, accessible via the Interactive GIS page.
Other key datasets include:
- GCRO 2009 Quality of Life survey
- StatsSA: Census 2001 and Community Survey 2007 datasets
- Satellite imagery including: SPOT and Quickbird Satellite imagery from the CSIR Satellite Applications Centre and Landsat imagery from 1989/91, 2000/01 and 2009
- Municipal Demarcation Board: Administrative boundaries (wards, local municipalities, etc.) and base data (such as main roads, railways etc.)
- GPG Department of Economic Development: Development Planning - all the Gauteng provincial GIS datasets
- GPG Department of Roads and Transport: GPG base transportation data sets
- Department of Human Settlements – investment potential atlas, community protest atlas
Eskom Spot Building Count (SBC) and dense infromal polygons: a point per building digitised from SPOT imagery (2010 version)
- GIS Projects
GCRO is working with Brian Mubiwa from University of Johannesburg on an urban growth mapping project. Mubiwa is currently working on his doctoral thesis titled: Impact of Transport Corridors on Urban Development and Transport Energy in the Gauteng Global City Region. Analysis outputs for the thesis will include a mapping of the GCR urban landscape over the past 20 years. GCRO assisted Mubiwa with obtaining Landsat satellite imagery for 1989/1991 and 2000/2001 and 2009.